Thursday, October 31, 2013

C4T #3

C4T #3 Post 1

My C4T #3 was to post on Nico Rowinsky blog Yo: A Math Teacher's Blog. I commented on his blog post, Is this going to be on the test?

Nico feels like he has done something wrong when a student asks, "Is this going to be on the test?" He states "The word THIS is the problem for me. To a student asking this question, THIS, means a piece of information that will be copied and reused very soon (and then likely never again)."


I commented telling Nico, my EDM310 teacher favorite saying is "NO MORE BURP-BACK EDUCATION!" This post reminds me of this saying because I think that is what he is trying to get away from as well.

I told Nico that I am in school to become a teacher, so I do not have experience with children quite yet. I can imagine students that try to remember everything just to pass the test will most likely not remember the information the next week. I feel if the students have fun and learned the material in different ways other than just a lecture, they will remember the lesson more.

C4T #3 Post 2

I commented on Nico Rowinsky's blog post "How My Students Impressed Me In The First Week".

Nico started the school year by prompting his students with this.



I commented saying I enjoyed watching the videos his students created on YouTube. This is a great way to get students to use their imagination and be creative. I am definitely going to use this in my classroom.

I told him I loved Video 9. This is a very neat way to illustrate math using Legos and technology.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the post Jamie. I had a great time doing this with the kids and I'm almost certain they weren't expecting me to start the math year by asking them to make a video. They were instantly engaged. Little cost on my part, but huge payoff.

    ReplyDelete